View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User
Re: Asperger's Syndrome and anxiety

HI,
I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks and I have a husband and one son with Asperger's. My younger son does not have Asperger's. While my Asperger's family members don't have full-blown anxiety, they definitely have some social anxiety and even situational anxiety, such as text anxiety. As you stated, the confusion of interacting with people can often be overwhelming and cause anxiety. It is actually a bit different from someone with just straight anxiety because the good news is that if you can improve your social understanding and practice relating to others more comfortably in social situations, it is very likely that your anxiety will improve dramatically. I don't know how old you are, but you'll also just get better with age. My husband wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's until our son was. Everyone knew he had a hard time relating to others and was very smart and "different" but noone had put a label on it. (He still doesn't have an official label from his regular doc because he has a sensitive occupation, but the Asperger's doesn't interfere with that anyway). I'm working with my son doing all sorts of social interaction practice before he goes into new situations (such as a school dance or pep rally) so that his anxiety will be reduced. Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and tell you that even though all this stuff seems daunting, you can get through it and have a fulfilling life.