View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
(female)

YellowCrayon HB User
Long term effects of concussions?

Back in February I suffered from a pretty bad concussion. I did not black out at any point, but I do have problems remembering what I did for the few hours afterwards. When I was taken to the ER I ran into a friend I've known for 7 years and it took me 10 minutes to figure out who he was. I was sick to my stomach for 2 weeks afterwards.

After recovering I felt back to normal. About a month later I went through a period of a few weeks where it felt like my memory was completely lost. I would ask someone to pick something up from a store for me and they'd come home and hand me the bag and I'd stare at them blankly and ask what they bought me. Gradually that too got better. I still suffer from memory problems, that I don't think I had before. I usually have a pretty good memory, and most of the time I still do, but I have these "lapses" where I just blank out.

My main concern now is mood swings. The past few weeks I've just had some really uncontrollable mood swings. My patience is almost gone and the smallest things will tick me off. I feel like a 8 year old because I feel like throwing temper tantrums when things don't go right and I just want to throw everything. (And a lot of the time I do) Then I'll go back to being completely happy and can go out with friends and laugh and joke and have a good time. But when something doesn't go right or someone gets angry at me I get all upset really easily. I'm generally a very easy going person and it usually takes a lot to really set me off. I tend to let a lot of things slide and not bother me at all. And now I can't seem to get past anything. My emotions are just one huge rollercoaster.

I don't want to automatically assume this is from my concussion, for all I know it could just be a phase I'm going through. But since I don't know a lot about concussions and long term effects, I figured it'd be wise to find out. How can I tell if this is just a phase or something else?

Last edited by YellowCrayon; 06-03-2006 at 11:09 PM.