Thread: Who works?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User
Re: Who works?

Hi Nc, I can understand where you are coming from. I ruptured a disc in my lower back the first time when I was 17. I worked for twenty years with the pain. I saw the same things you are seeing now. I didn't take meds either. I did get angry when I saw people "abuse the system" It is also not fair when people really need help and can't get it because of these abusers. I recently injured myself again. This time it is my neck and my lower back. I just couldn't do it again. I am worn out from all the pain. Sorry, but I am. I, for the most part don't take pain pills, just an anti-seizure med for the headaches caused by the neck injury. I had to make a hard choice, disability, or work--in my case it is work comp. I am having a very hard time paying my bills, and I have also had people make comments to me that aren't fair. For instance---if you can do this or that, why can't you work? Well, you are stuck at your job for 40 hours a week, you can't go lay down or cradle your head or throw ice on your neck when you need to. You don't know when that next step you take is going to send shockwaves of pain thru your body. If I am having a good morning I may go out and try to do something in the yard or with my kids, then I can come in and lay down and recover from it. Mind you, I will pay dearly for whatever I have done. My children are only young once. I try to test myself to see if I am better by doing some things. And really, I do have some good days, where I can do things, but not always. If you were off of work, you would more than likely be doing the same thing. A person can only lay around the house for so long before you start feeling totally worthless, and it's not good for your mental health either. Your spouse, if you are married will start to resent you and on and on. So a person tries to do things just to keep a good mental state going. Plus, my doctor tells me to try to get out there and do what I can. I don't know if this will help you, I know that once I was actually off of work myself and in someone else's shoes, I had a better understanding. As a nurse you also have to remember that everyone's pain levels are differant. You may have a higher tolerance than some of your co-workers.

I can't help but add that I really hope that when I go see my dr, that his nurse doesn't resent me, I mean, ouch! I don't look forward to grocery shopping as it is painfull to go walking around the store, but it HAS to be done. My daughter really does have to talk me into some of the things I do with her, and so does my husband when it comes to the work on our ranch. As for fun activities, those are choices that I make depending on my day and how bad I really want to feel in the end. But I feel that it's not fair to be left out of everything, so once in a while I will particpate depending on what's going on. I can't be hurt any further, so why not try.

Anyway, I hope you get the answers you are looking for. I would try to not be so angry, you have to remember that it's not your co-workers or your patients fault that you have to work.

Last edited by BlueSteam; 06-20-2006 at 08:12 AM.