View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: 11-yr old daughter won't wear bra

Maybe it's simply a sensory issue of some sort. I have Asperger's, so I know all about that. I'm VERY picky about my clothes, so when I found a training/sports bra that I liked at age 10, I wore them until about my junior year. (Luckily, I don't have that big of a chest.) Those got ratty, so my mom found me some that were the same style, and I've been wearing those for the last four years or so. I think it's more that she doesn't feel comfortable with the sensation of the bra, not that she doesn't want to wear it. My mom used to say that I wanted to wear clothes so that it would feel like I wasn't wearing any. I used to run around without any clothes when I was really little. Even now, I need clothes that aren't constricting in ANY way. So the bras that I have do the trick. I can't feel them, and I even sleep in them most of the time. Maybe your daughter just needs special material or something.
"Not everything that steps out of line, and thus 'abnormal,' must necessarily be 'inferior.'"
-Hans Asperger