View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
(female)

Lost Robin HB User
Re: So what do you all think?

Hi JLyn,

Yes, it is very possible that you have FM. Don't worry. None of us are going to think you are crazy! I think it is safe to say that most if not all of us here have experienced these symptoms and more. In fact, I personally have been able to identify a total of 57 symptoms at last count that are and/or can be associated with FM.

Since I was diagnosed with FM (fibromyalgia), I have also been dx'd with CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome), MPS (myofascial pain syndrome), RLS (restless leg syndrome), arteroschlerosis (hardening of the arteries) after having a mild stroke, bursitis in both shoulders, arthritis and bone spurs in my neck, osteoarthritis in both hands, thumbs and knees, severe obstructive sleep apnea. I pretty much was dx'd with one ailment after another during the past 3 years.

The pain, fatigue and "brain fog" or "fibro fog" eventually became so constant, severe, and unmanageable that I had no choice but to leave my job. Up until that time and from the first time I visited my GP and rheumie after I was dx'd I told my docs to write in large lettering on the inside of my file that I MUST keep working.

Like you, I had a very responsible job as a regional administrator (manager) responsible for two regions in the US. My job could be quite demanding and stressful at times as with any management type position but I absolutely loved my job as well as the people I worked with. I am a 51 year-old single mom with 2 teenagers and I'm sure you understand at least some of the reasons that I absolutely had to work.

These illnesses (primarily FM) have been almost totally devastating for me and my children.

My first advice to you is DO NOT PANIC! There are many illnesses that mimic FM and since there are not yet any diagnostic tests for FM, it usually takes a while to get a dx of FM. It took me almost 2 years. (By the way, my rheumie recently told me that there are 3 diagnostic tests for FM just waiting to be approved by the FDA? or CDC? or whomever. I always get confused as to which one is which, especially when I'm feeling so incrediblly tired, week and/or confused!)

My best advice to you is continue looking for a GOOD rheumie and make sure you have a good family doc as these illnesses can be VERY elusive and tough to treat!

Best of luck to you and please keep writing. All of us here do really care!

Talk soon!