View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Driving on Medication

HI Stress, I guess you have even more to stress about because Director is absolutely right. If you are in an accident, and taken to the hopital by ambulance, They will do a tox screen. They won't wait untill your renewel date to take action either. You will be charged with DWI or DUI , whatever your state calles driving under the influence.

You will go to jail when your released from the hospital and be treated just like any other offender. Fortunately ya breathalizer won't pick opiates up, but if you are unable to pass a field sobrity test, which I couldn't stand on one leg with the other one sticking out for 30 seconds on my best day, they can arrest you without an alcohol level and just asume it's another intoxicating drug. I've never been arested so I don't know ifd they do blood work when you go down down, but DUI is DUI whether it's alcohol, cough medecine, a half a flexerill or any opiate. If it has the potential to impair, you are considered impaired under he law.

Your lawyer can argue the medical aspects of accomadation but I have never heard of anyone winning. If someone thinks when they stop taking meds their head won't feel clearer, they are fooling themselves. I also drive out of neccesity, but I let my wife drive when we are together. I don't drive at night, I don't drive long distances. I'm aware of how meds effect me and regardless of how you feel or how long you have been on a stable dose, under the law you're impaired. I've also read about cases of prosecution in my area for driving under the influence of psych meds lke benzo's and one case of cold medecine mixed with a muscle relaxer, all were convicted.

There is no point in debating accomadation and not being able to drive or get out of bed without these meds because the law is the law and people under the influence of these meds have been the cause of vehicular fatalities. I wouldn't want my daughters bus driver even taking vicodin, for any reason. I thought it was ironic the social security admin basically advocated driving under the influence during my disability claim but that wasn't the determining factor.

My PM contract covers this and treatment will end as a result of a DUI. That tough stance is just a liability issue they are smart to adress. People are bringing suite against bar tenders and bar owners for serving a drunk. What's next, the doc that prescribed the pills knowing the patient would drive? The pharmacist covers his backside with the sticker. We live in a litigious society and driving is a risk, plain and simple.

Be very careful, especially when you have med changes of any kind, and avoid driving any time you can.

That's interesting Dave about the meth clinics, I've wondered why they don't hang out at every bar after midnight and stop everyone. Bad for buisness and the local economy, I guess.
Check with a local attorney if your not convinced Stress, but I would bet my pump you get the same answer. The question isn't how you feel under the influence, it's whether you actually are.
Good luck, Dave