Thread: What next
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: What next

Hey Blue, As odd and simple as it may sound, Have you hubby check the position of your hands while you sleep the next few nights. My wife had a very similar problem that is exaserbated by PN in her hands and feet. The doc asked me to do this and the first night I woke her 4 times because after falling asleep she would move into an awkward position with with her wrists comletely flexed and her hands curled up under her chin.

Appearently it's not an uncommon fetal like sleeping position and they resolved her problem with splints that prevented her from flexing her wrists during the night. It took 6-8 weeks of wearing the splints for her to stop getting into that position without them but it resolved most of the pain within days. After 6 or 8 weeks, I guess you develop some type of muscle memory. She wears the splints if her wrists start to bother her again but I rarely see her sleep with her hands i that position now. If I do I always adjust her hands,It may wake her, but it's better than the problem it was creating.
It's also a lot easier to rule out something simple than go through steroid injections, EMGs, wearng braces while awake and taking them off for sleep when the problem may be the posistion you sleep in. Just something to consider.
Good luck, Dave