View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
(female)

Fierysungirl HB User
Re: Schizophrenia and Autoimmune Disease

My theory on autoimmune diseases (I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL--I AM JUST A SOCIAL WORKER WHO HAS SEEN PEOPLE WITH AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES AND HAS SOME IDEAS ABOUT IT)

is that they must have a psychosomatic origin. With autoimmune diseases, your immune system and other bodily defense systems are in overdrive and instead of attacking bad things in your body, they attack they body itself.

So, basically, your body is attacking itself. I think people with low self esteem or repressed anger or hatred towards themselves develop theses diseases because they don't like themselves, thus their own body attacks them.

This could also happen to people who seem happy, but push themselves too hard and can't accept themselves unless they are loved and perfect at what they do, which could be why seemingly happy people like Michael J Fox and Montel Williams got these types of diseases.

Basically, if you don't like your body or show your body respect by getting rest your body could start to attack itself.

Back to schizophrenia or even other mental illnesses, the stress and stigma of having this ilness could cause one to develop an autoimune disease.

Just my opinion.