View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User
Question A long time away from Board

Hi all,
It is a long time sinse I last checked into board. My life has been busy and I just got out of the habit of checking in.
My mother died at the beginning of the year after a long illness. We ( the family) sat in the hospital for 18 days waiting for the good Lord to take her after the docs had said she has only hours to go. Sinse then my sister had a heart attack and had to have heart surgery. She is doing fine. This all took a lot out of me and when I should have gone to the board for support, I just bottled up. I was in control and did not need any help. Or so I thought. I crashed and everyone close to me saw it coming except me. Will I ever learn?
Anyway, I feel guilty about coming back after all this time and looking for information, but i am asking anyway.
I have been diagnosed with yet another illness and I feel that it has to be fibro related although my GP says there is no connection. The fancy name for this illness is "Dupuytren's Contracture". The synptoms are lumps of hard tissue on my hands. Both hands below the little fingers and ring fingers. The lumps are sore but not painful if that makes any sense. I thought it was arthritis and was with my GP and casually asked him about the lumps. He made the diagnosis and says I will require surger and he has referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon. I did some research on the net and it appears that this is a congenital illness where fibrous tissues in the tendons and these lumps are formed which constrict the movement of the fingers. The GP says a lot of old people say they have arthritis in there hands have in fact got this illness.
This to me is too much of a coincidence. I have had Fibromyalgia for many years and now I am diagnosed with this illnes which is to me the same family.

Has anyone else had any experience of this or any thoughts on the subject.
Again please forgive my long absence.

Brend