View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
Barrett's Esophagus - I have it and I'm scared!

I was just told by my gastro that I have Barrett's Esophagus and am terrified. I don't know what "grade" the pathology report was but I would think it was "low for dysplasia" because it couldn't have been negative or high.

What I was told by the doctor is that it is considered "pre-cancer" and the chances of developing esophagus cancer is very low 90-95% He didn't seem to concerned. That I should take a pill (Nexium) and in 6 months to do another endoscopy. He also said something that made me think that I could get rid of this condition. That if I took the medication and the next few endoscopies come back as "normal" I would be okay. Can a low biopsy reading be reversed to a negative? Of course I went home and jumped on the internet and I'm getting conflicting info. That once you have it you have it for life. And although the chances of developing to actual cancer is very low, it can happen and even happen fast.

So, I'm freaking out. I need to do so much reasearch. I need to be proactive and fight this crap with everything that I am. Find the best doctors (luckily I am in NEW YORK) so I have access to some of the best.

I see it as being like a toss of the dice. I could live cancer free with this condition all my life and die of something else, or I can be diagnost (sp?) with it and it can progress slowly or even quickly to cancer. I guess anything can happen. Although the fact that I even have it is too much for me.

Am I being to obsessive and am worrying too much here? If anyone else out there with this condition can give me some advise or feedback, good or bad...it would be so very appreciated!

Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to Live-Life-to-Love:
keepe (01-28-2011)