View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
(female)

mcclis_bev HB User
Re: Hi Newbie here in need of help

Hi Newbie, I have had severe IBS, with severe diarrhea and severe weight loss for about 3 1/2 yrs now. It got so bad that I had to file for disability social security and I can't work now after nearly 40 yrs. of working. I lost 58 lbs. in 2 yrs. I went from a size 8 for 30 yrs. to a size 2. I have to wear children's clothing because petite and juniors sizes don't fit anymore! I was referred to the Mayo Clinic Hospital at Scottsdale, Arizonia, and they did all of the testings that your normal clinics and hosptials don't provide. They couldn't explain why my large colon had 5 feet of inflamation and that I had 5fragments of inflamation in the stomach. The radiologists told me that with the IBS I had rapid transit of the stomach and the small bowel. The food that I eat will not stay and digest in my stomach for the 90-120 minutes that it's suppose to digest. I eat and the system spasems immediatley within 10-20 minutes and I rush to the toliet. I ended up with malnutrician of the intestines, hair loss, memory loss, and severe high blood pressure. You will also get severe anxiety attacks, because your nervous system can't take being so ill. Check with your doctor to make sure that your not taking medications that cause horrible side-effects that resemble IBS. These medications can make for a horrible cocktail and the side-effects are dangerous. The Mayo Clinic said that I had to check with a pharmocoligists to check out the different med's. They can cause peptic ulcers, diverticulums in the esphogus also, with acid reflex diease.If your symptoms get so severe that food will not stay in your stomach and digest properly, they will end up putting you in a hospital and tube feed you through the main large vein artery in the area of the chest area. They have to get weight on you and feed your body. This procedure is called TNP---(Total Parenteral Nutritition--with an IV-Catheter. It contains protiens and nutrition that your body needs to survive, which your body would get with eating normal food containing protein, crbohydrates, fat, vitamins, minerals, and water. You normally would IV feed during the night when sleeping and during the day you would drink lots of liquids and maybe snack on crackers since your intestines and stomach isn't working properly to digest food. A home care nurse must check you daily for blood clots and infections, so I hope that you have insurance to cover this if you have to go this route. The sterile form of nutrients that feeds thru the IV is very expensive for each month supply. Drink lots of water to flush your system clean daily, and don't drink and carbinated drinks like pop--it cause severe gas and bloating and pain!

[ REMOVED ]

[ REMOVED ]

I bought a great cook book that's called "Eating for IBS". It gives you the good and the bad things to eat that will actifate your guts really fast! The flare-ups are the worse. They attacks have sent me to the hospital 12-times within 2 1/2 yrs.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-28-2006 at 06:45 AM. Reason: posted contact info - promoting other forum(s)