View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 05:35 AM   #7
(female)

Annie57 HB User
Re: Hubby has question about pain treatment post surgery....

Hi

I had surgery for rectal cancer March 2004, a mastectomy in August 2004 and a complete hysterectomy done in September 2005. Results were cancer each time. I also had a reversal surgery due to a temporary ileostomy in June 2004.

Due to so many different sugeries I read up on and learnt as much as I could on pain management , depending on the type of surgery you have. I opted for the epidural for pain. The needle was inserted in the OR after I had already received medication. I felt nothing when it was inserted. It was great. I had no complications and was pain free for the first 4 days. On the fourth day they began to ween me off the epidural and I was started on pain pills. By this point the worst of the pain had passed and the pills worked.

I have had surgeries with both the pump and the epidural. From my experience and from other people I have spoken to the epidural, when inserted and monitored correctly, is the best medication to keep you pain free.

I realize there can be complications with any type of medication, talk to your doctor and ask a few others who have used both types of pain medication. I used the pump when I had the reversal done, for that the pump was great. I was not even offered the epidural for that surgery.

You must get up and walk around as soon as you are able after surgery. The epidural allows for this and you are pain free and able to walk with no problem.

Good luck.