View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
(female)

Annie57 HB User
Re: Hubby has question about pain treatment post surgery....

Hi Jeni & Sherri;

I will try and be as brief as possible in giving you my history.

I am 49 years old and began this saga of my life in December 2003. I was dx with DCIS in my left breast. I had a lumpectomy done in December but unfortuantely the doctor could not get clear margins. I had to have another surgery in Jan 04 to try for clear margins.

During this waiting period I had some rectal bleeding that my family doctor told me not to worry about. I told the breast surgeon and he ordered a colonoscopy that week. I was dx that day with rectal cancer, staging etc had to wait until surgery. My cancer was very low in the rectum ( 4 inches into the rectum).

The second breast surgery was also unsuccessful, no clear margins. March 5 I had rectal surgery, a resection and a temporary ileostomy. I had the bag for 12 weeks. I was staged 1 with no lymph node involvment.

June 4th I had the reversal and was told I had to have my left breast removed as the DCIS was found throughout the breast and could not be removed any other way.

August I had the breast surgery and was put on Tamoxifen. This was not an invasive cancer.

June 05 I had a biopsy done on my uterus, due to the Tamoxifen and after genetic testing proved I had inherited a gene HNCPP which probably caused the rectal cancer and could possibly cause uterine cancer. The biopsy showed no cancer but the Gyn/Oncologist decided on the hysterectomy anyway. A frozen section was done the day of surgery and that also showed no cancer. Unfortunately I received a call from my surprised oncologist who told me I had uterine and fallopian, both primary cancers staged 1A. I had to have 6 chemo treatments, Taxol/Carboplatin. The cancer in the tube was very aggressive and very rare.

I am now one year from surgery and 8 months post chemo. I had a cat scan done on Monday with blood tests and will find out the results September 12. This was my second 3 month follow up.

It has been a long 3 years. I am hoping to return to work this month and praying my results remain good. I still have the tingling hands and feet but my hair has grown in. Short but I have hair.

I have been very lucky, all cancers were found early. I live one day at a time and try to enjoy each day. I still have alot of bathroom issues, but am slowly learning to live with it. I have to try and watch what I eat and always know where the bathroom is. I have been told I will never be normal again due to the amount of rectum and colon that was removed.

If I can answer any questions for you just let me know. There is always hope and with all the new medical treatments today everyone does have a fighting chance to overcome this horrible disease.