View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: Hubby has question about pain treatment post surgery....

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactzone
I just had colon surgery for Dukes C. They took out 18 inches. I had surgery on Friday the 1st and was released from the hospital on Thursday the 7th. Surgery went well. They did find 1 node with cancer out of 21 and there is a met on my liver. That freaked me out but I kept saying it could have been worse. I reordered my days so that mentally a good day was not the same as before but just better.I did have the PET scan done and will get results soon about the spread. I had an epidural for 2 days. I felt no pain but did get low blood pressure and when they asked me to walk I felt dizzy and threw up. They took out the epidural and put me on a morphine IV drip. That was fine for pain. I then went to a pump, again, no pain. I walked alot as my goal was to pass gas. It took 5 1/2 days. Looking back now it seemed like I was in for hours not 1 week. I am still scared and sleep intermittentantly but I know I am better today than 1 week ago. For me, the mental pain is the hardest. Nights in the bed were horrible with my mind running and not being able to sleep. I did find comedy DVD's brought in helped. Physical pain was not any large problem.

I am 47 male coach with a 10 and 12 year old and wonderful wife, who was not an emotional type and now I cry for no reason when kindness is shown. I really want to believe in prayer but I am also eating well, reading, sleeping when I can. I try to live by a motto I read on one post here befor I went in. "Be stronger than not angry at." Start the steps necessary. I am only relating my hospital experinces but the nurses were overworked angels, the way I view each moment is much more intense and I come here to refuel.

God bless you and I want to help go through this together.
Chip
Chip
It sounds like overall it went pretty well. I'm sorry for the discovey of the met, but most times the follow up chemo can knock it out. Worst case... you have the small spot removed. At least you only had 1 node positive. That is GREAT news and reduces your chances of the cancer escaping to other parts of the body.

Be Strong,
CancerDad