View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
(female)

sross24 HB User
Re: Does having Asperger's qualify you for an IEP?

Willstrideryder,

It has always amazed me how much you and I are alike. My 6 year old with PDD-NOS (who I feel is really Aspergers), also has no IEP. I am fighting the school about it though. They say that she is doing fine in school, so there is no need from their standpoint. And she is getting by because she is very intelligent.

Someone gave me some advice. Get some neuropsych testing. One thing that can help is if the childs IQ is above average and their other test scores are average, then you can fight the school and say that the child is not working up to their potential. In other words if their IQ is above average, then their schoolwork should also be above average. The other thing is independent evals. An outside speech eval by a speech pathologist with lots of recommendations might help.

Now I give you this advice, but I do have to say, that I have not taken this advice myself yet. I don't know about you, but having four kids, three with special needs is overwhelming. I'm having trouble keeping up with all the appointments, and paying the copays for them all. I know you have four kids of your own, so you can relate.

Anyway, good luck to you. And let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

-Steph