View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 04:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Schools & Dyslexia??!!??

Nuffs-
Thank you for your reply. It breaks my heart to see my son struggle to keep up. Like your daughter, my son is in the 80-90th percentile in intelligence and is very smart, but the dyslexia really does hamper him in his school work. He has made the B honor roll several times but had to work 5 times as hard as normal students. Now, school and great grades have always come easy for my daughter. She is in honors classes and has always been able to sail through school with top grades.

I honestly feel that people just don't understand dyslexia. I have even offered several teachers some books that I have for them to read and they simply tell me they have no time to read them. Now that made me mad. I have pulled information from the internet and have made copies for the teachers. I'll be giving it to them today. If they have no time to read a book, maybe they have time to read a couple internet articles?

These kids deserve a fighting chance!! Home schooling may be something I end up doing because I basically already home school him with the amount of time I put in with my son already. I have copies of all his school books each year & pre-teach him. My son has asked several times if I could home school him. We live in a small area, so there aren't many resources & support groups for home schoolers, but I can make it happen if needed. He gets socialization through parks & rec and other things, so he won't become a hermit so to speak.

I'm sorry, I could go on and on. Although I hate to think of any child suffering & struggling through school, it's good to speak with someone who truly understands the impact dyslexia has on these kids & the families.

Have a great day, and thank you for the inspiration!

Last edited by ozzybug; 09-19-2006 at 04:37 AM.