View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

missTee HB User
Re: Too attached to Grandma

I have dealt with this problem as well. My dd is 4 and my ds is 22 months. My dd for some reason always wanted to be upstairs with "nannie". We live downstairs in her home. I stay home with them everyday for the most part. And I too shower her with love, affection, I play with her, I spend alot of time with her. She would always run up the stairs to show "nannie" her pretty dress, or tell "nannie" a story of some sort. When actually "nannie" does not pay THAT much attention to her and hardly plays with her at all. My husband and I were stumped. Until I had to put my foot down and say you can not go upstairs anytime you want whenever you want. I even asked her why she likes playing upstairs better then in her own place. She couldn't really give me an answer (she was 2-3 years old) I wasn't expecting much. But I just had to start limiting her time with my mother. Soon after she seemed to not obsess over her too much. And now she treats her the way every child should treat their grandparent...like a grandparent. Whether its because I limited their time or she just finnished another phase and went on to the next, I don't know. It hurts like hell I know, and you really scrape your brain trying to figure out what youre doing wrong...but its not you. and its that, that you have to remember. She loves you and like the other post read...she is not worried about you going anywhere. She knows you will always be around for her. Hope things work out soon for you, it can put alot of stress on you that is not needed.