Thread: Aspergers
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Aspergers

As willowthewisp said, Asperger's is a form of high-functioning autism. The biggest difference is that Aspies are very profound in their language abilities and often were hyperlexic as a young child, speaking and reading very early. (For example, I said my first word at six months, was using complete sentences well before 18 months, and taught myself how to read at age four.) Like autism, Asperger's is characterized by deficits in social skills and the reading of nonverbal cues. We Aspies are often seen by others as eccentric or geeky. This comes from the fact that we tend to have obsessive fixations in an area of specific interest and we like to ramble on about these interests at length. Aspies also usually have extraordinary memories for facts and dates, adding to our ability to learn all about our "special interests." We also tend to be very literal and detail-oriented in our thinking, pedantic and "professor-ish" in our manner of speaking, and clumsy. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-