View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Lyme relapse questions

Hi Crazy Tom. I am sorry you have been through so much and are sick again. When you stopped treatment, had you been symptom free for at least two months?

It is possible you were not treated long enough, and it is possible you were re-infected. I suggest you get tested for all the co-infections: Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. Sometimes people test negative intially and positive later on. If you were re-infected, you may have gotten co-infected then. IgeneX tests for all the co-infections except Mycoplasma. MDL in NJ is a lab some Lyme doctors use to test for this.

Below is the breakdown of the Western Blot:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia
12 specific for Bb
18 unknown
20 cross-reactive for Borrellia
21 unknown
22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band
23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb
28 unknown
30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and
one California strain
31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb
34 outer surface protein B (OspB); specific for Bb
35 specific for Bb
37 specific for Bb
38 cross-reactive for Bb
39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb
41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia
45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have
this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)
50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein
60 cross reactive for all Borrellia
66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria
83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane
93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently in some patients

I believe the IgM tests for a more recent infection and the IgG a longer standing one. Band 41 is often the first to show, and your is positive. Bands 23-25, 31, 34, and 39 are Lyme specific bands and your are either positive or IND. I think this is significant. Many people who have Lyme do not test positive by CDC standards, which require several bands to be present. Many Lyme doctors focus on which bands are positive, some are specific for Lyme.

To me it sounds like you need further treatment. You also need to be tested for all the co-infections. Will you be returning to the Lyme doctor? Did you see Dr. H. ?