View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User
Re: Can anyone share their Natural Childbirth Story?

Hi tmb.......my 1st child was born via c-section, but with my 2nd child, I was determined to have a VBAC. I had problems with an epidural during my c-section, so I knew that the possibility of having problems the 2nd time around existed. So, I was prepared to go at it without any pain medication (or so I thought)!!! After laboring for over 18 hours, most of those hours being on pitocin, I was only dilated 3cm and I thought to myself "there is no way I can handle much more of this.....and I have a long way to go". So, I opted for an epidural.........which provided me with instant relief..........relief that was very shortlived!!! My epidural stopped working 15 minutes after it was administered, so they removed it and I had NO choice but to endure the remainder of my labor with the pain that I so desperately wanted to end.

I realized after my epi was removed that I HAD to find a way to get through this. I had no choice. The pain was there and I had to learn to deal with it.

The one thing that helped me out tremendously was deep breathing through my contractions. Once I hit 7cm, I began having urges to push. So, after that point, the deep breathing was more to keep me from pushing than it was for fighting the pain. It seemed harder to refrain from pushing than it was to deal with the pain. Once I hit 10cm and was told I could push, I felt such relief to push against the pain and pressure I was feeling.

So, I did end up giving up.......but in the end that came back to haunt me cause I was forced to deal with it and find the strength to get through it, which I did. I was in labor for 26 hours. If I ever were to have anymore children, I would definately choose a natural method and not have any intervention for pain control because I now know that I can do it.

Best wishes to you!