View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
(female)

kennett HB User
Unhappy Thyroid Help Needed. Please Help!

I'm new to this site. I'll try to keep my story short and to the point. I recently had a total thyroidectomy done just a few weeks ago. Prior to this I didn't have any real symptoms that I can think of. Last march I was having some chest discomfort. Went to the hospital and they said I had a heart attack. Then again in May same symptoms found myself back in the hospital. Once again they said I had a heart attact. I'm 36 years old and never had any heart problems. They ran all the necessary testing and could not find a reason for the attacks. None of my arteries were cloged, no hypertension nothing. Everything came out clean. They stuck me on all of these medications and sent me home. While at one of the hospitals one of the doctors came into my room and told me it would be in my best interest to find another cardiologist to look into some things to find out why this was happening. She told me that it appeard that the doctors there weren't looking in to the "why" this was all happening. She gave me the name and number of a doctor in Philadelphia Pa. I saw him and one of the first things he did was notice my neck. He said that he wanted my primary to order an unltrsound of my thryoid. The labs on the thyroid were fine. My doctor ordered the test and I got a call from him a few days later telling me that I have a nodule on the right side of my thyroid and I needed to get a biopsy. He also referred me to a hematologist. To make a long story short after the biopsy I got a call telling me I needed to see this surgeon because they thought the gland needed to come out as soon as possible. After some time I had my entire thyroid gland removed. Everything appears to be going well. There is still some slight pain and discomfort. I'm extreemly tired. No get up and go and slightly depressed. I went for my follow up to see the surgeon and he tells me that there was some cancer cells there. He also said that he removed 11 lymph nodes which none had any signs of cancer cells in them. He told me that when I see the endo guy they would put me on a one time dosage of the radiation pill. This is were I'm at now. It's been 2 weeks since my operation. I go to see this thyroid guy next week. I don't know what to expect, what to look out for. They did put me on synthroid and calcium pills when they discharged me from the hospital. I've looked all over for info on this problem and can't seem to find clear cut answers. This is driving me mad. What exactly are the side effects of the radiation pill? How will I feel durring and after? When will I feel like myself again? Can the thyroid cancer actually affect your heart?? Someone please help me. I need some info before I go to see this guy. To me the more information I have the better I am to make an informed decision about my treatment. I would appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks,
Kennett