View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: There is hope for Depression, my story and the techniques I used to reach content

Congratulations on beating depression!

I have done similarly to you; I'm off all meds over a year as well. I found it really comes down to DOING something positive in your life if you don't like the way things are. I didn't like being alone, so I joined an online dating site, and I had a lot of dates and actually met the man who is now my husband (we've been married over 2 years). In your case, working on your degree and exercising are both positive steps. I also exercise regularly because I find it helps with my mood. I started gardening because I really enjoy doing that, and it is so wonderful to see plants growing and flowers blooming.

It really is about changing the way you are thinking. I realized one day that I was so negative about everything. I never had anything positive to say or think about anything. I started trying really hard to find the positives in situations. I made a pact with myself that if I didn't have anything positive to say, I wouldn't say anything at all. This first led to long silences in the car when driving places with my husband but slowly, I started finding positive things to comment on: the clouds, the sunset, the moon, the deer grazing off the road, the flowers, that it felt good to be getting out of the house, etc., etc. Even after seeing bad movies now, my first comment usually is, "It was nice to get out and go to the movies, anyway!"

Congrats to you!