View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

TraveltoSL HB User
Re: I'm BACK! ACDF C5C6C7 didnt WORK!!!

Hi Ron,

I am sooo sorry to hear about the fusion not working....Unfortunately, I wish I could say that it works perfectly the first time For some people it does....like my mom's surgery back in '84...and she's never had to have another....She has pain and stiffness but not enough to warrant having another surgery...With us "neck folks"...it certainly is much harder to heal....

For me....as you have probably seen on my other posts...I just had my 3rd cervical fusion since the first 2 failed....This time, they went in from the front AND the back and put plates on both sides...about 16 screws...rods and then put the donor bone in what is called a PEEK cage....So...for me...the 3rd time was the charm and even though I will probably have pain the rest of my life....I am on a lot less medication and am at a 4-5 on the pain scale which is fantastic!!!!

The first time around...it took about a year and half for the pain and symptoms to come back....Then, the surgery in Dec. 2005...I had pain pretty much immediately after and then kept getting worse and then found my most WONDERFUL and skilled surgeon in Jan. 2006 and after trying to many things for the year besides surgery to help....I ended up having it in Nov. last year....Just went for my 4 month check up and it looks good....

There was really no explanation why I didn't fuse those times...I am not, nor ever have been a smoker which can cause a fusion to fail....The first time...the bone (my own hip bone) just disappeared and the vertebrae collapsed back on eachother....This other time, the Dr. did such a terrible job...it barely fused at all...

I am truly sorry that you are having to go through this and just wanted to share that unfortunately...it's not uncommon and didn't want you to worry and think that it may never get fixed....It definitely stinks! And I was like you.....VERY upset and it's good to vent and get all the frustration out.....and it's so hard sometimes to think..."Ok, God.....really???? You really want me to do this again????? You think that I can take it????".....

I will be praying for you....If at all possible....I would get a second opinion from another Neurosurgoen to see if the first one did a good job and this is just an anomoly...

Blessings,
Ingrid