Thread: sore throat?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
(female)

dac9162 HB User
Re: sore throat?

Hello Mrs. Anchortown, it sure seems that the recovery process has been different in some way for everyone, so his experience may be different than mine - but this has been my experience with swallowing, for what its worth:

I had 3 level ACDF c4-c7, with plates and donor bone on Feb 7th, just about 6 1/2 weeks ago. In the hospital, the nurse would crush my pills (using this really cool combination pill cutter & crusher tool) and put them in blueberry yogurt, which really helped get them down. Once home, we continued the same practice for a few weeks (I also found the blueberry to work best, maybe because the stronger flavor masked the bad taste of the crushed pills).

Eventually we moved on from crushing the pills to just cutting them (in eighths at first, then quarters). As I got better, I noticed that if I ate something prior to taking the pills, they wouldn't get caught in my throat as often - as if the food helped to open my throat. Now I can get most pills down in whole, but there is one I have to take twice a day that I still need to cut up in quarters (I can swallow 2 quarters at one time, but can't do the full half pill yet, as goofy as that sounds).

For me, the sore throat feeling went away several weeks before the swallowing difficulties subsided. When I first started eating real food, it seemed no matter what it was or how small the bite, I would have to "double swallow" it. Even now, a piece of food will occasionally get stuck, but that is annoying rather than painful in any way.

Best wishes for anchortown's speedy recovery. You're wonderful for taking care of him. I don't know what I would have done without my husband's help