Thread: Polymiositis
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
(female)

issy07 HB User
Re: Polymiositis

Michelle71, I am so sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting around. I can sympathize with you. Though I have never been wheel chair bound, I too have felt the frustration of being immobile (did I spell that right?). I am 29 and a mother of 2 also. I have had Dermatomyositis for 5 years. I have experienced the tripping, the weakness and all the frustration. I have done the IVIG, the prednisone, Methotrexate, imuran, remicaid, etc.. Before I was diagnosed with the disease I too was very active. I am prior military so I was used to a very active and fit lifesyle. I was running 3 miles 5 days a week, then I started feeling achiness and weakness. Before I knew it, I couldn't pick up my 1 year old or get out of a chair. I finally got the diagnosis in November of 2001. I went on high doses of prednisone and after what seemed like an eternity, I started getting stronger. Now I am weak again, but not anywhere near where I was. I have a 1 year old and my pregnancy with her took a lot out of me. After the delivery I just got weaker. Now that she is 14 months, I am finally able to pick her up and bather her on my own. I am able to go outside and play with my 6 year old. By no means am I 100%, but I am better. This disease has made me have a lot more faith and I have learned that we cannot take anything for granted. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well as your girls and family. Had it not been for my family and kids I think I would have let this disease get the best of me. I know I will always have DM but it will not have me. Hang in there I promise it does get better.