View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User
Re: Post Tonsillectomy problems

I had my tonsillectomy over a year ago, but I do remember that I had some sore throat problems for a while afterwards, but I realized it was mostly when my throat got dry. You really have to keep drinking a ton of water and keep yourself as hydrated as possible, I mean you should do that anyway, but especially for people after tonsillectomy. I noticed that my throat would always get sore if it got too dry. I think chewing bubble gum helped too because it kept my throat moist with saliva.

It's a living adjustment because before you had tonsils, you always had them there keeping your throat kind of moist. But now they're gone so the dry air that you're exposed to throughout the day is more likely to cause problems.

As for the uvula problem, I'm not really sure about that. While I had a gross uvula after the surgery, once the descabbing was over, I think it was pretty much normal again. You might want to call the ENT and ask about it.

The problem I'm dealing with now, since my tonsils are out, is major post nasal drip. I felt it before my tonsils were out, but now it's like on hyperdrive and it's a daily annoyance for me to constantly clear my throat. That's the part that it still a problem for me, even over a year post-op. Don't know what to do about that.