View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

GracefulOne HB User
Has Anyone Read: Healing Back Pain or The Mind Body Prescription by Dr. Sarno?

OK, I'm really reaching here...as I ask my physical therapist husband who is sitting on the couch eating a bowl of spaghetti..."Do you think my pain is all in my head?"

I was just doing research online and found this Dr. Sarno guy...has published several books titled "Healing Back Pain" and "The Mind Body Prescription," amoung others.

Dr. Sarno's basic tenant is if you don't let the pain control your life and give in to it it will go away...that it is pscyhosomatic basically...

OK...here I am 6 months post surgical from a 2 level fusion...so this pain is all in my head...if I stop going to PT and to doctors appointments it will get better? Hey...I'd be down with freeing up about two days every week not going to therapy or finagling appointments...

So said husband responds, "Um, yeah pain can be pschyosomatic...as in stress can make you feel worse (which in my case it does) but if managing pain was as easy as not thinking about it don't you think Pain Mangament would be a pretty easy thing."

So...what are your thoughts...anyone with the "back pain in your head" after your fusion or refusion or hemilaminectomy? Is buying this book and reading it going to get rid of my pain?

L5/S1 Hemilaminectomy (9/06)
L4/L5 Hemilaminectomy (11/06)
L4/5 L5/S1 Posterior Interbody Lumbar Fusion with Instrumentation (1/07)