View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

Teacher_Lady HB User
Unhappy Interfence with Antidepressants and Birth Control???

Ok, I have been taking birth control for 6 years now. I started out on Ortho Tri Cyclen a couple of years. Then, it was Ortho Tri Cyclen-Lo a couple of years. During the time I took Ortho Tri Cyclen and the -Lo I was on Lexapro & then Wellbutrin (antidepressants) and there was no problem with anything. Then, it was Yasmin for a year. (The switching is because I get free samples from my Guyno). However, with Yasmin I was in a lot of awful pain. So 7 months ago I got put on Loestrin 24 Fe. I took it for like 5 months and had what I believed to be no period the whole time. However, I didn't like not having that monthly reassurance so my doctor put me back on Ortho Tri Cyclen-Lo 2 months ago. Well 1 month ago after the first pack of Ortho Tri Cyclen-Lo my period was normal. Not too heavy, lasted a few days, lasted during my green pills, moderate cramps just on first 2 days. Well in that same week I began taking Wellbutrin XL (antidepressant). So for my second month on Ortho Tri Cyclen-Lo I was also taking Wellbutrin XL. Well my face & neck started to break out with acne. I asked my doctor and she decided to change my antidepressant to Paxil. So after 4 days of being on the Paxil and Ortho Tri Cyclen, my period does something it's never done my whole time ever on birth control, it started a few days before my green pills. I have had awful cramps every single day (I'm on the 5th day now of this period and still going), I have filled up my feminie pads (sometimes clots), I have messed up my pants several times for leaking out even with the overnight pads & changing regularly. I still have the acne on my face. As you can see earlier I had taking birth control and antidepressants before and never had any issues like these. I thought it may be three reasons for all this madness. #1 The antidepressants causes the acne, but I've been on them before and this didn't happen. #2 The Ortho Tri Cyclen-Lo may be too low of a dosage of birth control for me, but my period was fine after the first pack. #2 My system is out of whack with the changing of the antidepressants.

So I'm open to seeing what you guys have to say may be going on my body. I'm clueless!