View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
(female)

Lynda1234 HB User
Re: Bilateral vestibular dysfunction

I have bilateral vestibular dysfunction. My right side functions at 70%, my left at 50%. I was told that the brain can compensate for the difference if only one side is affected. However, if both sides are affected permmanently, you can never be 100%. (So they say. I don't want to accept that fact.) I have had physical therapy for my condition which helped tremendously!

I do not fall over, nor do I feel a spinning sensation. I have a sense that "something is not quite right" but I am functioning very well. I can even drive without difficulty. I'm presently on zoloft which I believe helps as this can be a very anxious and stressful situation. I feel that the zoloft has helped me to adjust.

Am I happy about my condition? Absolutely not. But compared to the way I felt three years ago, I feel very optimistic.

An antidepressant might help you along with physical therapy. You may not be at 100% but you can achieve a comfortable equilibrium. I don't know what you are experiencing, but you will eventually feel better!!

Lynda