View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User
Fused at 13 months!

just wanted to post some good news.. saw my doc the other day and x-rays showed that L3-4-5 is finally fused solid

short version: had a double fusion in June 06 with cages and BMP. had the usual recovery - lots of ups and downs and second guesses as to whether I should of had it done due to lingering pain etc.

I had been a bit unhappy two months ago when I saw him and x-ray showd that at 11 months L3-4 was fused but L4-5 was only half way there. visions of it stopping there stayed in my head till this last visit. but its fused and fused solid, I could see it myself. according to the doc the discs above and below the fusion site look very good as far as spacing and height so as long as I watch myself the "domino effect" should not happen.. we shall see.

Im not too happy with the weight limit (20 lbs) but I will abide by it. I have no intention of stressing any more discs.

so soon I shall go for job retraining as the doc was [B]very[/B] strong his assertion that I can only do "light duty" work (and he stressed the "light" part several times) so I cant go back to constuction. looks like a desk job for me.

so I just wanted to post this to let those who are having a slow fusion know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. it may be a long way off but it is there.

13 months is considered a "normal" time frame - it can go to 18 months but also be as short as 6 months.. I of course had hoped for the 6 months as I sure every one here has. and Ill be the first to admit when I wasnt fused at 9 months (and especially when I found I wasnt done at 11) that I was worried. but God has done me well so I shouldnt have doubted Him.

hope everyone is doing well! keep on healing