View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User
Re: I'm new here but need some advice about my son starting school

when my son entered kinder. (last year) i didn't know what to expect. i was told he would have so much support, yet when school started...it was a different story. the best thing i did for my son was to insist on an aide. she really helped to keep him focused and made me feel relieved about getting phone calls from the teacher regarding behavior. my son was in a mainstream class and not a behavioral child but the fact that he is special needs didn't make the teacher so thrilled about him being in her class. (i know this because my neighbor happens to teach in that same school and she clued me in).

i let a couple of weeks go by then requested a meeting with the teacher to discuss my sons progress. she thought i would be happy when she told me that she allowed my son to "take a break" whenever he seemed "uninterested"
in what the rest of the class was doing. WHAT???????????? "Why don't you just put a sign on the kid and really let him stand out." i explained to her that we do not make exceptions to any rules for him at home and that he is expected to follow the same rules as his sibs. she honestly had no experience with special needs kids and had no idea. i thanked her for her time and followed up with a letter to her and my sons aide with tips that would help them assist my son in blending in with the class.

by the end of the school year, he had many friends and several playdates.

at kinder. graduation, the teacher even thanked me for sharing him with her class this year and how the students really learned a lot from having him there. (he's a math whiz).

look up special education laws. there are so many things our kids are entitled to but parents don't know about them.

Last edited by MOM23ANGELS; 08-17-2007 at 04:57 PM.