View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Seeking some information more than anything

Hi:

I am doing this by memory so bare with me. There are at least four kinds of antidepressants the two you mentioned plus another two NDRI, SNRI. An example of each would be SNRI - Effexor, SSRI - Paxil, NDRI - Wellbutrin, MAOI - Narvil. MAOI are not used very much anymore and are kind of a last ditch effort for a lot of people. Each med class effects the chemicals in the brain differently which is part of the reason people have such a difficult time finding the right med for them. I have a very strong stomach so to speak for meds and currently taking Effexor, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Lithium and Temazapam. I was on Paxil for a very short period of time and I crashed and ended up in a mental hospital, needless to say it was the wrong drug for me. MAOI have been around the longest but they probably carry the most risk. There are a lot of lawsuits out there regarding antidepressants most notably Effexor and Paxil because they are addictive and its brutal when you try to get off of them. Like I said before the hardest part is to find the right med or meds that will help you the most. Always do your research and ask a lot of questions. Oh there is another group called the tricyclics but I don't know anything about them.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam