View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

julie12155 HB User
Help Wanted: Endometriosis

I am 47 years old. I have a husband of 26 years and two adult children. I am a family daycare provider. I am also a part-time student earning my degree in early childhood education.

In May, my gynecologist told me that I might have endometriosis. He prescribed low-dose birth control pills. I took them for two months and experienced more pain during my periods than before I began using the pills.

I went back to the gynecologist in July, with my husband. We asked the doctor if I might benefit from using Lupron. He seemed cynical about the effectiveness of Lupron. He also commented on how expensive Lupron is and he doubted that our insurance plan would cover the cost (it doesn't). The doctor said he wanted to try stopping my periods completely to see if my symptoms improve. He prescribed an injection of Depo Provera. He also scheduled a diagnostic laparoscopy for August 16th.

After my laparoscopy, my gynecologist spoke to my daughter by phone, while I was in the recovery room. He told her that the band that supports my uterus was perforated and that my uterus was tipped backwards. He also said that I had a couple of small fibroid tumors that may cause bleeding. He told her that I had multiple areas of endometriosis within my pelvic cavity. Finally, he told her that he would be on vacation for the next two weeks.

When I scheduled my post-operative appointment, I was told that my doctor likes to wait four to six weeks before seeing his surgical patients. That appointment was scheduled for September 25th.

Back in May, my gynecologist told me that the only "cures" for endometriosis were menopause or removal of the ovaries. He estimated that I wouldn't reach menopause for several more years, because of my healthy lifestyle. I would like to avoid losing my ovaries, if at all possible.

I am feeling frustrated, anxious, and confused. At times, I feel like I'm a victim of my own body. I would really appreciate any advice, opinions, and support that anyone can offer me. Thank you for taking the time to read my posting.