View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
(male)

mountain14 HB User
Pre-existing condition?

Can anyone give me advice on this matter? I recently moved to a new city and changed jobs. The day after I finished moving I noticed a lump in my groin so I went to the doctor to get checked out. The doctor said that I might have a hernia and referred me to get an ultrasound. I called the doctor a couple of weeks later and he said that it LOOKS like I have a hernia and advised that I consult with a surgeon to see what my options were. He also said that I could wait months or even years to have surgery. With the current stress of living in a new city and being in a new job i put surgery in the back of my mind for the time being. My previous insurance has since expired and I became insured under a new policy with my new employer. A couple of months went by and my hernia got bigger and began to hurt so I went to another doctor on the new insurance and they said that I indeed have a hernia. I was referred to and consulted with a surgeon this time. I was advised that since I am very physically active it would be a good idea just to go ahead and have the surgery and not wait. So now I want to schedule surgery under the new insurance. I did not disclose to the new insurance company that I might have a hernia because I assumed that a pre-existing condition means that you had been treated for it. I was simply advised by my first doctor's visit that I probably have a hernia and should see a surgeon at my leisure. I am starting to regret making this decision. I work for a law firm with very good group insurance but I have heard the horror stories about insurance and pre-existing conditions and am starting to get worried. Can anyone give me any advice?