View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Postherpetic Neuralgia

getting any real relief from shingles pain,as you know is slight at best.using narcotics doesn't really help alot either but it does help to disassociate from it somewhat.i don't see any lidocaine listed as something that you actually tried for the pain?the lidocaine patches(which are the only thing that actually help with alot of my pain caused by spinal cord injury)were actually invented by a man(who was a pharmacologist) for his wife who was suffering horribly from shingles pain.these patches contain lidocaine gel that when placed over the most painful areas(when the blisters are not actually open and weeping)can really help tons in reducing the intensity or even ,if you are lucky enough,completely take away the pain caused by shingles.there is also a lido ointment that works well too,but unfortunetly not as well as the actual patch does.but in areas where you just cannot fit the patch(like in the hairline or the face areas) this is an option.just a suggestion for you if this should rear its ugly head again.they have gotten me thru some really awful pain flares with some really horrid pain syndromes that are neuropathic in nature.hopefully you wont have to ever deal with that crap again,but if you do,give the lido a try.it is truely a lifesaver for me.marcia