View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Allergic to my shampoo

I had the same problem.. it was a component in my shampoo and conditioner.. propylene glycol for me. I didn't determine this until I had a dermatologist do a full contact dematology skin patch test.. the put common components of cosmetics, lotions and the like on little dime sizes dishes and tape them to your back.. the patches stay on your back for 48 hours.. then you get them off and have to allow another 48 hours of air exposure with out water to see if secondary reactions occur. This allowed me to determine my allergies to iodine, cobalt, nickle, propylene glycol, formaldehyde.. some urea formaldehyde producers.. etc. You have to speadn a week without getting your back wet adn fill the constant urg to rub like a horse on a fence post.. but it is quite informative when trying to track down additive allergies.

I have to use propylene glycol free deodorant, cosmetics, lotions, shampoo and conditions.. food. Nasty little substance.. as an emulsifier it is in any thing that needs to be kept in suspension or a homogeneous state. Cake mixes, preserved meat.. etc. Aussie hair care products were PG free.. make-up and deodorant were trickier fixes. Had to deal with Cobalt, Nickle and Iodine more frequently in those.

Sincerely,
MG