View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Meds not working anymore (long)

I cannot respond specifically to treatment for a child, but your daughter's treatment is remarkedly similiar to what I have been through as an adult. It sounds like you are doing many of the right things. I started off with allergies that have gotten worse over the years and eventually developed a chronic cough for months on end that was so bad I couldn't stop or catch a good breath. I think I had asthma for years before I finally got a diagnosis. Then it took a couple more years to find a combination that controls both my allergies and my asthma. At this time, I have been cough free since May (with the exception of a couple flare-ups during wildfire season.) I always fear winter because in addition to the allergies the extreme cold air and the polluted inversions cause a yearly intense flare-up of coughing. I can only hope that my current treatment lasts into the winter.

Currently, I am undergoing my second round of immunotherapy for allergies to trees, dust mites, molds, cats, dogs, horses (although I am never around horses), grasses and weeds. For my allergies, I am currently taking Allegra, Flonase and Astelin. For my asthma I am currently on Advair 500/50, Singulair and Albuterol as needed. I too have been on Prednisone fairly frequently since I was diagnosed with asthma. I also found out I had acid reflux with a cough as my symptom and take Prevacid twice a day for that.

I don't get rashes quite that frequently, but when they do occur, my doctor has prescribed a strong topical cream and Benedryl when it gets bad.

As for the moving, that may help some, but I have found that now I have the allergies, everywhere I have been in the country I find new things that trigger allergic responses. For some people it helps, but I would seriously consider if it would be of benefit to you and your daughter.

By the way, when you visit the doctor again you may ask about getting your daughter a flu shot this year. I know when I got worn down from months of coughing a year ago I ended with the flu as well which just aggrevated things more. (I had had a flu shot, but picked up a different strain. I find they give me a piece of mind though when others around me are getting ill.)

Good luck finding a successful treatment for your daughter.