View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
(male)

Twangmaster HB User
Question Adult downs syndrome, violent behavior

Hello all, new here, but looking for answers and guidance.

My step-daughter is 25 with downs. Normally, she's pretty placid, content to sit in her room, watching movies, etc. Last week, she decided to 'borrow' one of my guitars to play with. I didn't think much of it, until I wanted to play it this evening. First she started talking to herself, saying how it was 'her' guitar, and how she was going to get it back. Then, after returning it to it's case and placing it back with my other equipment, she starts throwing a fit, climaxing in throwing things and taking a swing at my Wife. Like I say, she's normally pretty docile, but this has happened several times in the past, getting violent, when she doesn't get her way. My wife keeps saying that she 'doesn't understand', yet when she wants something, she sure understands how to get my wife to jump through hoops to get it.

Any ideas on dealing with her, besides always giving in and giving her what she wants, which I don't agree with. I don't feel that it's good for her and serves to only reinforce the same pattern of behavior....

thanks!
Twangy