View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 04:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User
Re: grandmal seizures and flying

I'm going to jump in with an opinion here. An aneurysm is a bit different than just having epilepsy. It's a blood clot in the brain. After I flew three years ago, I immediately developed 3 blood clots in my heart and needed open heart surgery. I've been put on blood thinners and I have since flown again. The only problem I experienced from that second flight is a blood vessel did burst in my eye and the white of my eye became blood red - not very pretty, but not dangerous at all. Blood clots (aneurysms) and circulatory problems are very different from epilepsy, which are more electrical (circuitry) problems - although aneurysms can and do trigger seizures.

The flight attendant that you spoke with didn't specify exactly what type of relationship she was referring to. In my completely unmedical opinion, there is definitely a correlation between an aneurysm and flying (due to clotting), but I've never heard of a correlation between epilespy and flying - but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist). Perhaps you should ask the neurologist.

Patients with epilepsy fly all the time, I really don't think it would be a problem. In fact, I'll be flying to Florida next week and I don't anticipate any seizure-related problems.

Last edited by life_is_good; 10-28-2007 at 04:53 AM.