View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
(male)

jse33 HB User
Re: Could it be a hemorrhoid?

Has your gastro performed a colonoscopy yet, or just the other tests that you listed. I am a 43 year old male. I too have had bleeding off and on for the past 15 to 20 years much like you described for yourself. I hadn't given it too much thought because it never lasted for more than a few days and there was never any pain or discomfort associated with it. Within the last 6 months I started experiencing other symptoms that caused me to be concerned. Frequent bms, feeling like I always need to go to the bathroom, irregular shaped stool, abdominal discomfort, etc. This lasted for months. I finally called a gastro and he scheduled me for a colonoscopy without even a visit with him first. I think the symptoms combined with a familiy history of colon polyps and an uncle who died from colorectal cancer are what got me in so quick.

Well I just had the procedure and the doctor found no serious issues. I thought there might be some type of an obstruction but he found nothing. He did identify internal hemmorhoids (rectum) which was the cause of the bleeding. That could be what you have. He recommended that I start taking Metamucil to better regulate things and I am assuming that it could help with the hemmorhoids by softening things up. I have taken it for two days now. We will see if it helps. It isn't the greatest tasting beverage but I am willing to try it out for a few weeks to see if there is improvement. My job is desk oriented too, very sedintary. I have started using a treadmill on a regular basis over the past few weeks. I have felt better in other areas just from doing that. I would recommend some excercise.

Anyway, it is hard for me to say what you have that might be causing your symptoms but it is entirely possible that the bleeding you have could be a result of hemmorhoids. Good luck to you.