View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #31
(female)

Aleta145 HB User
Re: Desertbloom - Your Sleep Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBloom View Post
I also had surgery for a deviated septum, but it didn't solve this problem of not bein able to breathe.
I'm surprised the septoplasty didn't improve your breathing. It's something I've thought about doing myself, but if it isn't 100% effective, then maybe I'm gonna think twice about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBloom View Post
The jala neti must be the same thing I'm doing. Does your husband pour water and saline into his nostril? That's what a netti pot does. Your pour it up one nostril while you head is tipped to the side and it comes out the other nostril. I know this sounds weird, but it does help, it just doesn't completely open my nasal passage. My husband is gross and calls the netti pot, nasal douche-disgusting.
Yeah jala neti is the sanskrit term for nasal cleansing; sounds more classy than nasal douche, LOL! My husband uses an ear syringe instead of a neti pot. I make up his "nose juice" a quart at a time, and he pours a cupful into a small bowl and nukes it for a few seconds to warm it up. Then sucks it up into the ear bulb. By the way, the solution I use is 1 rounded teaspoon of kosher (sea) salt plus 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (Arm & Hammer) to a quart of water. I do it occasionally myself. Afterwards it feels like I've been swimming in the ocean, not an unpleasant sensation at all.

Oh, and about the ear plugs, you might try a different brand. I used to get the foam ones, but they did tend to fall out. Now I buy the Macs brand, kind of a tan-colored rubber. They tend to stay put.

I've wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts. You have a knack for research and for also for writing, and I appreciate all the thought you put into your posts. Keep it up!