View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
(male)

Blake P HB User
Re: DPU...who knew?

OK, first let me apologize for being so late to comment to this group. It was here that I learned the "name" of the disease that was making my life horrible. I went to a dermatologist and he confirmed that DPU was the issue.

I spent the last 10 years dealing with this without ever knowing anyone else with the same condition. My episodes would be extreme sometimes to the point that I could not even walk because my feet would be so swollen and tender.

My hands would itch and swell up (after using something as simple as a hammer, screwdriver or drill etc.) and I would almost make them bleed scratching them day and night. My throat swelled to the point that I had to be taken to the emergency room. The hives would be horrible around my torso and back. I had no idea what was happening and no idea how to control it.

I love to play golf, but after walking 18 holes I would have what felt like major flu symptoms, body aches, and swelling in my feet, hands and arms. I would basically be bedridden for 24hrs. following a round of golf. If I carried my bag on my shoulder, the next day my neck and shoulder would be visibly swollen and extremely sensitive and painful.

Prednazone was the only drug that could stop the symptoms. Of course this is not a long-term remedy so I would only take it if I absolutely needed to be fully healthy or to more quickly recover for some physical activity.

I am currently on a small "cocktail" of drugs that seems to be working great! I started with higher doses and have since eased back the dosage to keep my DPU in check. I have not had a major flare up since starting the medications about 1 year ago.

He prescribed Loratadine 20MG Hydroxyzine 25MG and Famotidine 40MG daily.

Because I was also experiencing extreme pain in my esophagus area during the DPU symptoms, the doctor prescribed the Famotidine (Acid Reliver). I am not sure how much it would be necessary if esophageal issues are not part of your symptoms, but it could be the "cocktail" that makes it all work. I don't know for sure, but I am thrilled with the results.

Currently I only take the medication about 1x per week or when I feel any symptoms coming on after physical activity.

I hope some of this info will be helpful to you if you are experiencing DPU. Again, I apologize for taking so long to respond to the group. At least I have a year of health behind me, and hopefully that lends more proof to the medications that are working for me!

Thanks everyone!

Blake P