View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: Feeling very low.

I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner! The past two years sound like they've been a whirlwind for you! My heart goes out to you (((hugs))).

I often have that same urge to "run away". I think you're right though, it wouldn't help at all .

Do you know if your counselor has been trained specifically to help eating disordered clients and their loved ones?

Educating your boyfriend about EDs may help him understand better. You could try gathering as much information as you can and go through it with him. Taking an intellectual approach may show him that it's beyond his simple interpretation that you only "need more confidence". Sometimes in sharing with our loved ones the only thing that gets conveyed is the emotional side of our ED conflict.

In gathering information you'll probably find that you end up learning a lot about yourself and EDs that you were unaware of. So even if your boyfriend does not respond to it you will have gained anyway.

I don't mean to sound harsh but one way to reduce your stress level might be to stop parenting your parents. You love them and they love you...in my opinion, your responsibility towards them should end where it begins to have a negative impact on your life.

I've found my ED behaviors are far lessened when I properly prioritize. Your health and sanity are of utmost priority...please don't let your parents' divorce and ongoing problems continue to ruin your life or rob you of it.

It's hard at first to mentally and emotionally let go of what we feel is our responsibility but as we do we see that everything really isn't going to crumble and it becomes easier.

Has your counselor suggested anxiety meds to help you cope through this time? It may especially prove beneficial to feel more stable before you begin your training in September.

I know it's not easy but I think you need to be honest with your family. You don't have to give them every detail but if certain subjects come up you could tell them you're struggling right now and would prefer not to discuss it.

Keep reaching out. Is there a support group in your area for any of these issues you're facing?

Hope to hear from you!

Love, Kelly

P.S. Have you talked with your dr about the side effects your experiencing from the roaccutane? It sounds like you really need to get in touch with him/her about it!