View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
(female)

wednesday76 HB User
Mono / Ebv for the second time -really bad! Anyone else have it more than once?

Hi everyone,

I have been sick for a month and couldn't figure out what was going on. To make a long story short, after a month of feeling awful, I went to my nurse practitioner to get more blood work done. I had no sore throat all month, but happened to come down with a really bad one a few days before I was going in for the blood work. So I mentioned the throat when I went in. It was really nasty! Neck glands were very swollen too. So she ran a blood test for ebv / mono. I thought, no way could I have that again, I had it when I was 14!

Well, the results came in and they are off the charts. One level should have been 120 or less, and it is 2700!! Another level should have been around 120 also, and was 840. I just can't believe it!!

My white blood cell count actually went down since the beginning of the month, so I don't have any infection right now. (It's 9.1) She had put me on zithromax and I finished it, but now know that wouldn't be helping me in any way.

Had anyone else out there had mono / ebv twice?? If you have, can you tell me how you felt the second time around, and how long it lasted?

Should I go to an immunologist?

That's the short version, but here's the longer story if you care to read on:

See, I was having other problems along with not feeling well and I didn't have sore throat or glands til the end of the month, so no one thought of mononucleosis until the sore yucky throat came. Over a month ago at this point, one night I just felt dizzy and not well, so I went to bed early. The next morning, I woke up with a really rapid heartrate! Like 150+. Was up high for hours, went to the doctor, was 128 and they were trying to treat that. She thought it was due to anxiety, because I have had a horrible amount stress going on in my life that has been causing me to have anxiety. So I don't think the heart is related, but that is what I was concerned about, at first. Heart rate still remains at 100 resting most of the time and I have had 4-5 bouts of sinus tach since. I don't know if the heart is related to the mono, she doesn't seem to think it is... it was probably just a coincidence from all the stress....I still don't know. I have seen a cardio and am awaiting the holter results.

So here's my symptoms, in case anyone is curious. I had mono when I was 14 ( I am 31 now)....and felt totally different then, the first time I had all the classic symptoms. Now....I have felt like I have the flu for over a month now. I have the chills, I am dizzy / lightheaded allllll the time, like my brain is in a cloud! I can't think right. I have horrible headaches every day that only two advil will cure. I just feel generally awful, and it's not letting up. I don't want to sleep all the time like I did the first time around, I am just fatigued and weak. I've also been having ibs like symptoms, so I am a wreck all around.

I wake up very jittery and anxious with a h/r of like 104 or so, again from the anxiety I think, plus all month long I thought there was something really wrong with me! I thought maybe i had cancer, or a brain tumor or something, which sounds crazy I know but I have been so sick, and have had such awful headaches and the ibs like thing.... And the dizziness all the time, ugh! I can't tell you how bad it feels.

I am a stay at home mom, and it is not easy to deal with this and take care of everyone. I just hope I don't give it to them or my dh! She seems to think I won't....but I hope she is right.

Well thanks for listening, I just needed to get it out somewhere. I still don't know what to make of it all, and I just hope I get better soon!

I am posting this on two boards, as I am not sure where the proper home for it is.

Take Care.