Old 03-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User
Re: Mom is very near the end - what to expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM163 View Post
Hi all,
I posted here over a year ago when my mom was first diagnosed with stage 4 nsc. She did the chemo thing for awhile, but then became too weak. She started having breathing difficulties a couple of months ago, so they suggested radiation to shrink the tumor that was causing the obstruction. The very first radiation treatment, she suffered a heart attack that night, and has gone downhill very rapidly. She is now home on hospice care. Hospice has been wonderful, but I wanted to hear from folks who have watched their loved ones die of lung cancer. I want to know exactly what to expect. Will she be gasping for breath until her last moment? How ugly does it get? I need to prepare myself to be strong for this. Just now, we had a scare. She started vomiting profusely, and seemed to be in agony, and now she is trying to have a bowel movement and says it's very painful. She also has been coughing more the last few days, not bringing up anything, it's more like a choking type of cough. I want her to die peacefully, of course, but if it's going to be ugly, I need to know so that I can summon the strength to be by her side until the end.

Jen
I AM SO SORRY....but with Hospice...it should be not "horrible"...death is not enjoyable...by any means...but hospice can make it easier...ease the transition...ensure comfort...I lost both my Mom and dad to LC...both died on hospice...they WERE comfortable....breathing slowed....no agony...no pain...when they were personally ready...they left....breathing became more intermittent...but still no stuggling.....finally one last breath...still sucks from family perspetive....but i am sure both mom and dad left when they wanted to...without pain...and without suffering...hope this helped...c

PS hospice can tell you what to expect as the process happens...eases the fear ...increases the understaning ...but they really do a great job making sure the patient is comfortable...that is what they are all about!