View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

meggiemeg86 HB User
Can't Breathe! Help!

I'm a 21 year old female who has been having breathing problems for the past three months. It came on very fast and hasn't gone away, or gotten any worse or better. I can't get deep breaths and my normal breathing feels very shallow. It basically feels my air doesn't go down to my lungs. My throat also feels very tight and feels like my airway is closing up. Although these symptoms are constant, it gets much worse at night especially when I lye down and try to go to sleep. I have been having much more mucus that won't come up as well, that also gets worse when I lye down. I also get chest pain sometimes, (not constantly) but mostly when my breathing worsens. My breathing definitely causes me much anxiety, and I'm actually pretty scared I'm going to die sometimes. I've been to the hospital twice in the past 3 months. They didn't see anything on my lungs and my heart was fine. They diagnosed me with anxiety. DUH! I don't know of any human being who would not get scared if they couldn't breathe. They gave me 10, .25 mg tablets of Xanax which helped a little with the anxiety, but obviously not with the breathing. I've seen a cardiologist and my heart is in good condition. The only thing he told me was that I have a high resting heart rate, some irregular heart beats, and a slightly enlarged left ventricle. He said that was nothing to worry about. I've had a lung function test, and they said that looked reltativvely normal, except for the fact that I have a "relatively flat inspiratory loop flow volume curve suggestive of extrathoracic upper airway obstruction". My primary doctor gave me an inhaler, which didn't help at all. She also gave me Ativan to help me sleep at night. I eat very healthy. I work out 4-6 times a week for about 30 minutes, and I go for brisk walks with my dog for about 1.5 miles 1-3 times a week. My breathing also worsens during my workouts and when I'm walking.