Thread: Enlarged Heart
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Enlarged Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmebeck View Post
I have totally been in your shoes!! I lived my entire life with constant PVCs. They never scared me, or bothered me, because I'd always had them.. When doctors would hear them they'd tell me not to worry about them, they are benign. I believed them because like I said, they didn't bother me. It wasn't until we moved and I switched doctors that they started to take my PVCs more seriously. They had me do a 24 hour holter monitor and found that over 12% of my heartbeats were PVCs. They also did an echo and found that my right ventricle was enlarged. (Along with a slew of other things we had no idea were wrong!) They said that is largely due to the amount of PVCs I have.
Amazing story and one that ANYONE, whose heart doesn't beat correctly, should heed!

I've read stories, over and over again, from other patients who have constant heart rhythm problems, and whose doctors tell them not to worry, the erratic heartbeats are benign.

In your case, over time, the "benign" misfiring of your heart probably lead to the enlargement to your heart. If I had to guess, your heart problems all started with a minor value defect, which in turn caused the erratic "benign" heartbeats, which resulted in the weakening and the enlargement of your right ventricle. The actual damage to one's heart doesn't come from just the stress on the heart from irregular heartbeats, it also comes from the damaging, excessive hormones that are over-produced by the body's Neurohormonal System, in it's attempt to compensate for a heart that is not pumping proficiently.

Quote:
They did say that on it's own it really wasn't a huge deal, but since I have other heart issues as well they wanted to stop the PVCs. (They are trying to keep my heart as healthy as possible for as long as possible since I will be facing valve replacement hopefully in the far off future.)
Your earlier doctors said that your heart problems were benign. Now that you have some measurable damage to your heart, your current doctors say that your right ventricle enlargement is not a big deal?

If I were you, I'd consider the enlargement of your right ventricle of utmost importance, and help your heart get better through diet, exercise and taking the most beneficial medications. Your efforts now will reward you later, as you get older, IMHO.

I've been battling heart failure (enlarged heart) for over twenty years, and I am doing very well by eating a healthy, low calorie diet; daily exercise; and taking effective heart medications, among other things.

I waited until in my 60's before I really decided to take my heart disease seriously, and I am now more restricted and limited than I would have been, if I had acted earlier. That said, I am overjoyed with my current progress and the improvement to my health and quality of life over the past few years. I really feel healthier and in better shape than many men in my age group, who don't have heart disease.

If you don't mind me asking, what prescriptions are you taking to deal with the PVCs and to treat you enlarged right ventricle, and how well are they working for you? Any nasty side effects? Do you still get many PVCs?

Do you know how much your blood pressure varies during the day?

On a side note, do you still get migraine headaches? If so, it could be related to your valve and heart problems.

ps: Thanks for your family's military service to our country!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-13-2008 at 04:30 AM.