Thread: Enlarged Heart
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Enlarged Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrschk View Post
... It's a double edged sword - on one hand, I'm scared to death to find out if something is wrong - on the other hand, I'm scared to death to not know if there is something wrong and not be taking care of it! Does that make sense?
It makes a lot of sense. It would also scare you to death if you found out that something is wrong, but could not fully understand what it meant.

You need to empower yourself. You need to be the master of your own heart problems. How do you do this? Well...... first you need to understand that, whatever is wrong with your heart, you CAN help to heal it through a healthy diet, exercise and the proper medications. You also need to limit your stress as much as you can. But, as you know, limiting stress might be very difficult due to your pregnancy.

You need to become very pro-active regarding your heart medications. Doctors tend to throw a bunch of different medications at their patients, all at the same time. In most cases, heart problems require multiple medications, but the choice of medications, and when and how you take the medications during the day is very important.

Quote:
The echocardiogram scheduled for 2 hours away has my heart just racing and my palms sweating! I'm gonig to go in there and try to relax and tell myself the test is necessary for the doctor to determine if there is a problem and how to address it. I'm going to ask for a report from the tech today.
Hopefully, the echo will show a normal sized heart and healthy valves. I am anxious to hear the results!

Quote:
I certainly would love to have some medication that would slow down the racing and jumping! I'm going to have to talk to the cardiologist about that. They did try me on some beta blocker back in my teens - but, I had more symptoms with the one they tried - so they had me discontinue it. Is the medicine you mentioned a beta blocker?
Yes Carvedilol (Coreg) is a beta blocker.

Quote:
I'm sure my current pregnancy is contributing somewhat to the increase in racing and jumping, too! You know, to date, I haven't even had the opportunity to really even grasp the whole pregnancy thing?
How many months pregnant? How excited are you and Hubby about the pregnancy?

Quote:
... Shoveling pounds and pounds of horse manure is a little bit of a workout - so, I guess I had my own little workout regimen several times a week without even knowing it! :-)
You've almost convinced me to add the shoveling of horse manure to my daily exercise regimen.

Quote:
Do you use like free weights for your weight training? I have some low weights (1, 3, 5 and 10 lbs) at home and would prefer doing it here to the local gym.
I have two, 10 pound hand weights. I do 30 curls and 30 lifts, up to 10 times per day, and do 20 steppers over 10 times per day, plus the two 30 minutes walks.

Quote:
I'm thinking some low weight training - some walking - and I would love to do some Yoga or Pilates - they say that is great for strength and relaxation. I think teaching myself to relax is key, also!
Good idea. There is an old say about accepting the things you cannot change, and changing the things that you can change.

Quote:
Do you take vitamins? I've been taking just over the counter Centrum chewables.
I take 50mg Vitamin B complex, 250mg Vitamin C, and a one a day multiple vitamin/mineral, and try to get at least 15 minutes of sunshine for Vitamin D.

Quote:
My blood work done 2 or 3 weeks ago all came back good - within normal ranges. My cholesterol was tiny bit high (207 when they want to see it under 200) with my "good" cholesterol being high - which I assume is good?
Great to hear about your good blood work.

What were your Triglycerides?

Quote:
Well, off to get showered and ready for the drive to the cardiologist. Beerzoids, I really appreciate your input - it's comforting to just have a cyber-pal to talk to.....and to draw on their experiences.
Good luck at the cardiologist! Hoping for great results from the echo, and an effective, tolerable medication plan.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-15-2008 at 04:45 AM.