Thread: Enlarged Heart
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #18
(female)

itsmebeck HB User
Re: Enlarged Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mileena42 View Post
My cardiologist gave me a prescrip for Atenolol for my PVCs, BUT he told me unless I felt like they were so bad I couldn't stand them I didn't have to take the meds. I found that magnesium helps my PVCs, so I have never taken the Atenolol. My valve problem is also a "watch and wait" situation. Other than the PVCs and an occasional run of very fast beats, I have no symptoms. I am 44. Is it correct that your heart is already enlarged and you are 27? Sorry if I misunderstood. My heart has not begun to enlarge....it was my understanding that was one of the reasons for the yearly echo....to watch for that kind of progression.

Of course, it is your aortic valve that is affected and it might be a different story with that.....but WHY does he think you would have to have the valve replaced twice? Isn't a mechanical valve expected to last for your life span?

Like beerzoids I would question the way the doctor is handling this.....maybe try a second opinion. I believe if during my echo next year my heart has enlarged my doctor would decide that I could no longer be without SOME meds or go ahead and do my valve replacement.

Please read up more on this.....itsjustme. The AHA suggests there is a "window" for valve replacement to occur, and I would think once your heart begin to enlarge you are either in that window or quickly approaching it.

Good Luck!
Mileena
I am actually seeing 3 different cardiologist, all from the same hospital here in San Antonio. The hospital is one of the best in the military and I'm extremely happy and comfortable in the care I've been receiving.

Yes it's correct that I'm 27. I do have copies of all the reports and it says my heart is at the upper limits of normal in the right vent, so like I said, the enlarging at this point is very mild and they feel that by stopping the PVCs that should stop the enlarging or atleast slow it way down.

The valve, from what I read on the internet and the way my cardiologist explained it is that there are two types of valves, tissue valves and mechanical valves. The thing with that is, I would be having the entire aortic root replaced not just the valve. So it's a bit different. My understanding is those are designed to last only around 30 years. Meaning, if I'm 30 now, I'd need at least one more replacement in my lifetime, plus having to take anticoagulants etc. In any case, you have to weigh the risk of the surgery and what comes with the surgery, versus the risk living with it right now. At this point the risk of the surgery just doesn't outweigh the risk of living with it. I'm 27, (not yet sure if we'll be having more kids) in great health (other than the heart issues) I'm not over weight, I'm active. We caught this in enough time that my issues aren't life threatening. We are doing echos every 3 months, I've had an MRI as well as a CT heart study done. I feel extremely comfortable that my doctors are on top of this. I really have done a lot of research on this though (My husband works nights so I have a lot of free time! lol) and I feel very comfortable with the way my docs are handling it all.