View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

nchantng HB User
Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia

Hi Jill

Im happy to hear that the gabapentin is helping, even a little. Often it takes titration of this med upwards to reach a therapeutic dose of 1800mgs - 3600mg. One thing about gabapentin - it only stays in your system for around six hours, it is not metabolized by the liver (which can be a good thing for some people) but requires a more frequent dosing to keep therapeutic levels in your bloodstream. It is often used 4 times a day.

Gabapentin also is sometimes used in conjunction with other meds like Baclofen or Klonopin. Unfortunately the side effects all seem to include drowsiness - but often pairing meds seems to produce good results.

I have tried accupuncture but won't do it again - I don't know if it caused a pain flare or coincided with one, but I was pretty miserable for days after the treatment.

Jill, I can't stress enough the need to get a good doctor to support you. With something like TN you get Doctors who have never seen it in their career or only rarely. Often, with resources like the internet, patients are better informed than the Doctors. The Trigeminal Neuralgia Association (TNA) has great info that you can take along to appointments. I am really lucky that my family doc diagnosed me and both he and his nurse practitioner are on my side. I have heard of patients whose Doctors don't believe their pain, or that it occurs bilaterally (Yep, it can do) I don;t know which area of the country you are in, but I hope that you have access to good compassionate doctors.

Wishing you all the best Jill, if you have any other questions or just want a sympathetic shoulder, please post back on this board

hugs,

Heather